Homeschooling resource spacer

WINGS Admin/HS Zealot! jpapadpapa's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question: Is the Home School Report card from NCDNPE Mandatory?

I got a card from NCDNPE that asks some questions, like "Are each of these student records being kept on file at your home: Attendance records, Immunization records..." etc. I really don't wish to return it if I don't have to. I assumed at first that it was mandatory, but then I visited the website and their wording makes me think maybe it is not. Can anyone tell me for sure? Either way, I missed the "deadline". Oops. :o

Similar Threads:
    Danielle

Wife to Jon, IT Superhero

Mommy to Konur ("Konurpillar"), the bookworm (12) and Elleina ("leiney-bug"), the creativity queen (10), and Korban, the tiny outdoorsman (2)

55 years of nutrition research science, first of it's kind Landmark Study, and 12 clinical trials. Learn how to earn FREE products here!

Interested in organic, non-GMO foods at up to 60% off? Check out The Green Polka Dot Box!

Senior Member Springway Classical's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks

Re: Question: Is the Home School Report card from NCDNPE Mandatory?

North Carolina homeschooling families enjoy a significant amount of freedom from State regulations and requirements. One of the few requirements we have to meet is:

"Administer a nationally standardized test, or other equivalent measurement, that measures achievement in the areas of English grammar, reading, spelling, and math, to every student each year, and maintain the results on file for one year, subject to inspection by a duly authorized representative of the State." [emphasis is mine]

Because the state has to physically visit every private school each year and because the number of homeschools keeps rising, it has become financially impossible over the years to personally inspect each homeschooling family. That's one of the reasons the voluntary "inspection by mail" program began. Really, all they are asking is "are you keeping the records you are required to keep?" To my mind, it's non-invasive and a win-win for everyone to answer these questions by mail.

"Over these years, home school administrators' openness and cooperative spirit with DNPE have resulted in a wider acceptance and better factual understanding of home school educational activities by the general public. That, in turn, has helped to preserve the freedom to operate home schools in North Carolina." --DNPE

I have always taken the opportunity to respond to any inquiry from anyone regarding our homeschooling experience as a position of pride in the excellent choice of home education and a way to promote the choice, the results, and the benefits.

--Bonnie

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification, Bonnie! :)

I see what you are saying, but...Personally, I don't think I will fill it out and return it. I just have a big problem with government poking into my life, especially when it comes to my children. I really do understand the other perspective and maybe I will change my mind down the road, but at this point I just don't feel comfortable turning in this form. I'm glad to know I don't absolutely have to. :)

Danielle

Mommy to Konur ("Konurpillar"), the bookworm (12) and Elleina ("leiney-bug"), the creativity queen (10), and Korban, the tiny outdoorsman (2)

55 years of nutrition research science, first of it's kind Landmark Study, and 12 clinical trials. Learn how to earn FREE products here!

Interested in organic, non-GMO foods at up to 60% off? Check out The Green Polka Dot Box!

Senior Member Springway Classical's Avatar
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks

I guess I see homeschooling as a privilege and would be willing to jump through hoops of fire to continue having the choice today and for generations to come. Fortunately, the hoops are currently minimal. NC has made it soooo easy for us all (we are truly blessed in this way) and it helps to see the numbers growing and the participants prospering in their endeavors. So, no -- you're right that you don't absolutely have to send in the card with a response; but given the choice, those who shy away from cursory inquiry, may inadvertently invite closer, personal inspection. (Possible, but maybe not probable, given the budget crunch.)

The North Carolinians for Home Education (NCHE) Resource Guide recommends, "Home School Inspection by Mail Program, double, gray-colored postal card (NCHE urges all home educators to participate in this voluntary program by detaching the cards and then providing the requested information on the one card and returning it to DNPE.)" *

To me, the annual reporting card is more of a reminder to be sure I’m still in compliance by maintaining the required records, and a quick response is symbolic of my gratitude.

*For newbies: NCHE is a non-profit organization that works as an advocate for North Carolina homeschoolers while maintaining a positive working relationship with the NC Division of Non-Public Education (DNPE). Maintaining a favorable climate for homeschooling in North Carolina requires a strong state organization. NCHE is in large part responsible for the current law that gives us so much flexibility in choosing how we may educate our children.
    http://74.6.146.127/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=respon+to+ncdnpe+inspection+by+mail&fr=slv8-hptb8&u=www.nche.com/pub/NCHE-ResourceIssue.pdf&w=respon+ncdnpe+inspection+inspe cted+mail&d=M1u-ERlMSz4d&icp=1&.intl=us

--Bonnie

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks, Bonnie. Again, I do see your viewpoint. But, I guess I see homeschooling as a right, not a privilege. I believe the state sees it as a privilege, though, so I may change my mind about turning in the card in years to come. It is not a dogmatic stance I currently take...just my current inclination. :) I really bristle at government intrusion. But, it is a feeling I may have to go against in order to help protect homeschooling, as you argue.

Good things to ponder!

Danielle

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thanks

Danielle,

I have participated in the "inspection by mail" program for probably the last 5(?) years or so.

Basically all you are doing by sending in the card is letting them know how many students you have and that you will voluntarily send in your attendance sheets and your test scores at the end of the school year so they don't have to "inspect" your school this year. I believe it may be a way for them to keep up with the amount of homeschool students in the state and just show some form of minimal regulation. I have always appreciated the ease of homeschooling in NC especially after hearing from others in different states and all the inspections, etc., they have to go through.

On another note... I have never had anyone from the state inspect my homeschool in the last 13 years. Anything I can do to keep the state from becoming more involved in my school day, I'm willing to do.

Not sure if we got the same card(??) but mine has a return date of Sept. 30.

Sandi

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh, you're right! It is a return date of September...just misread the number. lol. ;) Well, that's good. It gives me more time to think about it.

Danielle